Country Life

Country Life
Country Life 18x36 oil painting by Mary Mapes

Friday, May 6, 2011

Wildflowers- Violets

I went on my daily ride and concentrated on the violets.  In our woods we have two violets: The Common Blue Violet and the Yellow Downy Violet.  The Common Blue are common in the spring in woods and around wooded area.  They are 3-5 in. high with 5 petals on the small flower.  Leaves are heart shaped with coarse round toothed margins.  The Downy Yellow violet are about the same size but yellow in color, they have brown-purple lines at their base of the center bearded petal.  In our woods the Common purple form many large bunches while the Downy yellow are fewer in smaller bunches.  I am seeing so many wildflowers and am getting behind in doing the portraits of the ones I can identify.  I tried to post my drawing but for some reason the blogger would not let me, so I am posting copyright free photos from the net.
View Image Smooth Yellow Violet

No comments:

Post a Comment